Top Three Reasons To Be An Introvert
We all have this impression that somehow extraverts are more successful and socially desirable as introverts. Frankly, I’m tired of hearing this. Why are we judging the relative worth of a person based on a personality trait? Introversion is not a mental illness, so why are we treating it as something to “fix”?
I’m going to give you three reasons why introverts may actually have an advantage over extraverts when it comes to success in business and personal relationships.
- Introverts are great listeners. Because introverts tend to hold back information about themselves, they tend to focus more on listening to others. And, since most people absolutely love to talk about themselves, this means introverts are actually far superior in many social situations. Nobody is going to walk away from a one-on-one conversation with an introvert thinking what a horrible conversationalist they are. After all, the introvert actually seemed interested in the other person. That’s because they truly are.
- Introverts are effective business networkers. People think networking is about selling yourself and your business. No, it isn’t. That would be “sales.” Networking, on the other hand, is about building relationships. And introverts are natural relationship builders because they show a genuine interest in other people’s businesses. Extraverts are generally too busy telling people about themselves and trying to entertain you.
- Introverts are independently focused. What I mean by this is an introvert doesn’t rely on other people in order to think. In fact, they think better and more deeply when they are alone. Extraverts cannot do this. Put an extravert in a room alone to work and they will be miserable and unproductive. Do the same with an introvert and you will get a thorough and quality work product. And a happy introvert.
So can we please stop putting introverts down simply because they aren’t comfortable in the spotlight? The world is not a reality TV studio. We don’t all need to be in the spotlight to be effective human beings.
- Posted in: Inspirational ♦ Relationships
- Tagged: extraverts, introverts