Individual Counseling, Couples Counseling and Sex Therapy

Supervision (For Registered Interns)

Thank you for your interest in me as a supervisor. I love supporting, teaching and mentoring new counselors! This is why I went back for my doctorate degree. Supervision is not just a legal requirement; it can be a very rewarding and meaningful process. In fact, the supervisory relationship is just as important to counselor growth and development as the therapeutic relationship is for client growth and change. Because of the importance of this relationship, I have a rather rigorous process for ensuring we are a good fit. Therefore, I recommend reading the below sections, About Me, and About You, carefully before contacting me.

About Me:

  • I am a qualified supervisor for MHC, MFT and Sex Therapy
  • My theoretical orientation is primarily systemic and cognitive-behavioral
  • My population is mainly couples with some individual work in anxiety and depression
  • I am a former Visiting Instructor at USF, and have supervised several practicum classes
  • I have been in private practice since 2008
  • I have a doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision from USF
  • My master’s degree is in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling, also from USF
  • Supervision charges:
    • Saturdays and evenings: same as individual counseling rate
    • Weekdays prior to 5pm: $100

About You:

Prior to meeting you, I will need:

  • One reference (usually a professor; preferably your practicum or internship professor) who can attest to your counseling skills. If you can also provide an audio or video tape demonstrating your counseling skills in a role-play that would be helpful
  • One reference (usually an employer; preferably the agency supervisor at your practicum or internship site) who can attest to your professionalism

If we decide to move forward, I will need:

  • Scope of practice: you agree to get outside supervision for cases outside my scope of competence including but not limited to families, children and substance abuse
  • You must:
    1. Have a site with a licensed person present at all times you will be with clients
    2. Be a registered intern with the state of FL or in process of registering. (Must be registered prior to seeing clients.)
    3. Carry professional liability insurance and provide me a copy
    4. Sign the Supervision Contract
    5. Sign the Intake Paperwork

Next Step? Call me at (813) 404-9215 to schedule an introductory session to see if we are a good match.

Dr. Barb LoFrisco

Comments are closed.