Sexual Resource List – Updated!
- The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction (http://www.indiana.edu/~kinsey/index.html): No list would be complete without this classic. Founded by pioneer sexologist Alfred Kinsey, the Kinsey Institute supports interdiscipinary research in the study of human sexuality.
- Kinsey Confidential™ (http://www.kinseyconfidential.org): a sexuality information service designed by The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction™ to meet the sexual health information needs of college-age adults. This site contains articles on a variety of sex information topics as well as podcasts.
- Dr. Ruth (http://www.drruth.com): this site is sponsored by one of the most widely-known sexual experts, Dr. Ruth Westheimer. Sex tips, online polls, and posted answers to visitor’s questions are among the highlights of this site.
- SIECUS (http://www.siecus.org) : a well-respected non-profit specializing in sex education and sexuality.
- Club CalExotics (http://www.clubcalexotics.com): an interactive, online community that is committed to providing information about sexual health and wellness. It has interactive forums and discussion boards, informational videos, educational blog posts and offers expert advice. It’s free to join but must be over the age of 18.
- Sex Matters for Women: A Complete Guide to Taking Care of Your Sexual Self – Sallie Foley, Sally A. Kope, Dennis P. Sugrue
o This book presents solid, science-based information on the topics that everyone is talking about and those that aren’t talked about enough, from how to have more satisfying sex, to questions about hormones, anatomy, STDs, body image, relationships, sexual orientation, and more. Also included are thought-provoking exercises for self-discovery and sexual growth.
- Private Pain: It’s About Life, Not Just Sex – Ditza Katz, Ross Lynn Tabisel
o This book discusses vaginismus and dyspareunia and includes extensive explanations, real – life stories of patients and partners, and treatment options. It should be of great value to sufferers, partners, family members, healthcare professionals and spiritual leaders who will now be able to better understand the nature and management of these conditions.
- Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women – Julia Heiman, Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo
o The revised and expanded edition of Becoming Orgasmic provides a program designed to help anyone overcome the myriad obstacles to complete sexual satisfaction.
- She Comes First: The Thinking Man’s Guide to Pleasuring a Woman – Ian Kerner
o A straightforward, intimate, and exuberant guide to cunnilingus. Kerner educates readers about the clitoris and describes female sexual response from “foreplay” through “coreplay” to “moreplay.”
- He Comes Next: The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Pleasuring a Man -Ian Kerner
o Offers expert advice on everything from the nature of male desire to sex-techniques that work.
- The Guide to Getting It On! (The Universe’s Coolest and Most Informative Book About Sex)- Paul Joannides, Daerick Gross
o The award-winning Guide To Getting It On! is the most comprehensive how-to book on sex that is currently available. It is used as required reading in sex ed classes at more than 30 colleges and universities, and is said to have been responsible for cracked plaster in bedroom ceilings all across America. The Guide makes reading about sex almost as much fun as doing it.
- Love in the Time of Colic: The New Parents’ Guide to Getting It On Again – Ian Kerner, Heidi Raykeil
o Ian and Heidi often bring very different perspectives, but they agree that sex matters . . . a lot. It’s the glue that holds couples together and keeps lovers from becoming simply roommates or co-parents. Funny and frank, Love in the Time of Colic will help parents take the charge out of this once-taboo subject, and put it back where it belongs—in the bedroom.
- Rekindling Desire – Barry and Emily McCarthy
o For over a decade Rekindling Desire has helped to restore and restructure sexuality in thousands of lives. Contained within are suggested strategies and exercises that help develop communication and sexual skills, as well as interesting case studies that open the doors to couples’ sexual frustrations.
- The New Monogamy: Redefining Your Relationship After Infidelity – Tammy Nelson
o The New Monogamy offers a way out of these difficulties for couples struggling to stay together after infidelity.
MALE HEALTH CONCERNS
- Male Health Center (http://www.malehealthcenter.com): Information on male genital health, birth control from the male perspective, and sexual functioning.
FEMALE HEALTH CONCERNS
- The North American Menopause Society (http://www.menopause.org/for-women): great resource for general information on menopause.
SEXUAL ORIENTATION/GENDER CONCERNS
- Sexual Orientation: Science, Education and Policy (http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/index.html): this site is mainly dedicated to the work of Dr. Gregory Herek, an authority on homophobia. Dr. Herek’s research focuses on sexual orientation, anti-gay violence, homophobia, and other concerns of gay men and lesbians.
- International Planned Parenthood Federation (http://www.ippf.org): this well-known organization provides valuable information on contraception; this site provides breaking news, press releases, journal articles and other resources.
- The International Council on Infertility Information (http://inciid.org): this site offers fact sheets, recent news, geographical listings of health specialists, and an opportunity to participate in chat sessions with experts.
- The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.thenationalcampaign.org): the purpose of this site is to provide teens and parents frank advice about how to prevent teen pregnancy.
As always, if these resources aren’t enough help, book your appointment now! Just look to the right and press the button.
Your Passion is my Passion,
Dr. Barb LoFrisco
- Posted in: sex therapy
- Tagged: best sexual resources, sexual resource list, sexual resources